Having a good bed, bed springs and mattress is a very important and long-lasting investment. A good bed set can last decades and mattresses and box springs can last at least 10-15 years if they are properly maintained. Bed sets, including a headboard, box springs and mattress, can cost thousands of dollars, so it is important to protect your investment.
Mattress Moving & Storage Tips
We spend over 1/3rd of our lives sleeping, so it is important to keep mattresses and bed sets in great condition. Below are eight tips to keep a mattress in good condition during moving or storage:
- Avoid storing mattresses in the basement. Basements can be damp, which could damage the mattress. Keep mattresses away from pets and sharp objects.
- Consider renting a climate-controlled storage unit to store your mattress. Extreme temperatures and humidity can create moisture, which can in turn damage your mattress. If you need to store a mattress in a regular storage unit, it is a good idea to invest in a dehumidifier to keep the storage unit dry.
- Before moving or storing a mattress, be sure to thoroughly clean the mattress. Use upholstery cleaner on the actual mattress and then vacuum both sides.
- Disassemble the bed set for moving or storage. Keep all screws/nuts/bolts in a plastic bag taped to the frame or headboard for safe keeping. Cover the bed frame and headboard with old blankets during transit and storage to protect from dust and damage.
- Invest in a mattress cover to protect the mattress while it is in storage. Cover the entire mattress with a breathable plastic cover. These usually cost $20 or less at stores. Secure the cover with tape and cover any holes or tears in the cover.
- If you are storing a mattress long term, store it flat in the storage unit. It is okay to move the mattress on its side, but for storage, it is better to store flat as the coils and inner workings could shift with storing on the side over a long period of time. You can store the mattress on top of flat furniture.
- Do not store anything on top of a mattress. Heavy items can cause damage to the mattress material as well as could damage the mattress springs.
- Once you are ready to remove the mattress from storage, freshen up the mattress before use. Sprinkle baking soda on both sides of the mattress. Allow baking soda to sit so it could absorb any odors and then remove the baking soda by a vacuum.
Magellan Storage offers climate controlled storage at most of our facilities that can help protect your mattress or bed set investment. We also offer a free move-in truck that can help you move your mattress into a Magellan Storage facility. Find out more when you are ready to rent your storage unit.